Sunday, July 22, 2012

Letter to a Young Nurse

I've been remembering what it's like to be a new nurse lately. It's been 10 years now, and I still love, passionately my choice for a career. I didn't choose this first, I had another life, but I think nursing chose me. Working with you, and others like you, has reminded me of things that I've learned that I would like to share with you today. Some of these things are very applicable to you, and some you may see as you grow in your life. Some you may wish away. But hear my thoughts, and remember that there is a reason each of these is shared. First, remember why you became a nurse. For some it's a job, for some it's to return to society what has been given them, for some it seems the most natural thing in the world. But on those days where you don't like your patients, your co-workers, or your job, remember. Remember the joy of a child that smiles at you when you give them a popsicle. Or being able to teach a parent how to care for their child. There will be days when every patient or parent (depending on the age) is an idiot. And there are constantly going to be people that are mean to you, they will take advantage of everything you have to offer them. How do you maintain a proper spirit with these people? It's compassion. For me, I try to remember how Jesus dealt with the masses that surrounded him. Many of them only wanted what he had to offer, but didn't want any change in their life. Many of them were the outcasts of society, yet there was something that attracted them to him. I want to be that person to our patients. Despite how awful they are to me, I want to offer them kindness, gentleness, and peace. I fear I let you down in seeing that in me often, but that is the direction I am headed. Remember these are misguided, unregenerate people. We need to be what they often are not. The hardest thing for me is to not judge others. I find myself digging deep within to avoid this, and it causes me pain every time I hear someone being harsh to a situation that we don't know all the details about. Example: a kid that does something when he should have been in school - everyone will say, "why didn't the parents have the kids in school?" But what we don't know is how much the parent has done (or not done) to solve this. We judge without really knowing the facts, but in reality the parent needs to hear from us that we are sorry this has happened to them. Your touch, your lack of judgement, may be the thing that helps them get through this. Building a team takes a lot of work. It takes investing in your co-workers. You are now out of school, we are not competitors anymore. Make sure that when you have learning opportunities that you share them with your teammates. Other new grads now, and then as time passes, other staff members. Never take opportunity away from someone else, encourage them to be at your side so you can both learn. This makes us all better, not just one person. When another staff member pulls you aside and says they would have done this another way, listen. You might have been right, but you might learn a better way to do a skill. Seek out those that are better than you, ask them to teach you. No matter how good you are, you can always be better. Don't let pride run your life, be meek, gentle, and willing to learn. Don't find yourself always sitting around the nurses station. Sure, now and then it's fine, but be sure to lead out in doing things, learning things for yourself. Anyone can be part of the herd, but you are responsible for your own self. Confidence comes from doing, not from hearing it from another. Be honest is admitting that you are in over your head, people will respect that. When you see something that interests you, follow your questions, learn. You work in a place where learning is valued, don't waste that. Always remember, you are there to work, you are there to serve, and we are priviledged to be in a place where we can do it well. Be positive. Please. If you want change, make it happen. Start with yourself. We can't change everything, but we can change our attitude about things, we can make some change happen. If you always see the negative, you will never see what does work well. Now I this is coming from Ms. Eeyore herself, but it's true. Last, look around you. Find the joy in everything you see. One of my first thoughts when I came to this hospital was that who can be grumpy in a place where you are around kids all day? I can't. So share that with all you see.

1 comment:

dr.antony said...

This is a profession I respect most.
I know how difficult it is for a nurse to work,specially if you have big headed doctors.there is a soul to this work.That is what the young nurses should know.There is nothing comparable to this work.