Monday, April 18, 2011

Burdens

Some days at my work are rough. Bad things do happen to people, either on purpose or accidents. It was rough with adults, but there is something different when it happens to kids. I have a great group of friends, but these things can be overwhelming to share. And sometimes, even when you share, it doesn't feel right that you did.

We had a bad one yesterday. It's funny, because when you are in a certain role, the other staff even tell you they are sorry as they pass you in the halls. And no matter how many times you have seen things, particularly death, it is hard. Maybe that's what makes us who we are, I don't want to work with people that aren't moved when they deal with it. There is sometimes a clinical intrigue that happens, because you learn from every one of these, but still somewhere you know, this was a child, this was someone that people loved, and maybe the day before she was playing and, maybe she was a princess. But not today.

Today my scripture reading was about Jesus in the garden. And his disciples couldn't stay wake while he was praying for this cup to pass, to take away our sins. Today I'm burdened, and I'm needing some resolution, and so I'll pray for Him to help me with this cup. I know I'm where I'm supposed to be for work, and I know that this job has these moments. I may never understand what Jesus encountered in the garden and on the cross, but maybe, maybe, I have a glimpse.

No comments: