Saturday, April 16, 2011

Princesses

I have 3 sons. I didn't pay much attention to princesses when I was young except to say I liked the story about the Princess and the Pea. Then Sarah entered my life. She is my daughter in law and she has taught me all about princesses.

And now I work in a pediatric ER. I have come to love princesses. I love the little girls that come in and are wearing clothes with their favorites, or even better one Sunday at church a little one had her crown and magic wand. One of our doctors came to work and found, instead of her stethoscope, her daughter had packer her a wand for work. Tonight I was holding down a young girl while we placed an IV and drew her lab work. With tears in her eyes we discussed her favorite princesses to distract from what we had to do. I don't know how to describe these scenes. I hate to cause those moments of pain, but I love to send them to a world where they can be a princess for a few minutes and have magic to banish me.

Oh boys are great too, but there is nothing like the princess. My world has expanded with the knowledge of these things. Somedays I walk away amazed that they pay me for what I get out of my job.

Thank you Eloise and Sarah.

1 comment:

dr.antony said...

Happy to note you have enjoyable moments at work.All of us would love to live in some fantasy world,dont we?