Wednesday, April 13, 2011

The Importance of Being

I love the be verbs. They are helpful, small, yet have so much meaning. The word "be" is defined as: to exist or live, to take place, happen, occur, to occupy a place or position, to continue to remain as before, to belong, attend, befall. The dictionary goes on, but this is sufficient.

Lately I've been thinking about how much I enjoy being around certain people. One of my co-workers and I were discussing what each of us had done the night before. Gary and I had been watching TV together and playing on our computers. Fairly quiet evening, not a lot of conversation, but just being together.

Lately I've realized that with many of my friends, when I see them I feel energized, more alive. We tend to relax when we are with people that we have those bonds with. I've been thinking about relationships that we've had over the years, some of our best friendships, and how I knew we were successful in them. I think it's the ones that sometimes there was more silence than not. That if they were tired and we were together they could just rest (some even fell asleep on the couch - in our defense, it was a great couch to sleep on). I was with a friend the other day that I don't see often, there wasn't a huge deep topic, it was in the seeing her, the hearing her voice, and just laughing together.

I was trying to define for someone what having a relationship with Jesus is. I think some people believe that you have to be in constant prayer, on your knees, talking constantly. I've come to realize, it's like being with my friends, it's an awareness, a constant presence, being in touch. Over the years my relationship with Him has changed. Just like many of my friendships, this has gotten more personal. Less me saying what my needs are and more about how to express who He is. And I honestly believe that I've come to a point that He is a friend as well as everything else He is.

It's that way with good friendships, it's not necessarily the conversation, it's the being together that is most enjoyable.

1 comment:

dr.antony said...

What you said is true.Sometimes when I sit with friends,I have felt there is no need for many words.

I have always felt that human beings have a frequency.Like you tune on to a radio.We get the music with the right frequency.And that is how,you feel comfortable with only one among the whole crowd.

Sometimes,unseen friends are easier to relate to than close ones.They wont take advantage of the relationship.