Saturday, August 25, 2007

Diversity


Went to a Hispanic grocery store today. Methinks I was the only caucasian in the place. It was most interesting, beautiful layout, the various rows of peppers, vegatables, bins of beans. It was very interesting. As I walked the aisles I remembered once when my youngest was a newborn. I had signed my other boys up for swimming lessons at the only place I could really afford at the time. It was at an inner city YMCA. We were the only white people there and all the little girls would come up to the baby and want to touch him. It was really sweet. Once I asked the three year old if he noticed anything different about his instructor (I was actually inquiring about his name "Boo") but I was pleased that his answer was that Boo's swimming suit was green.

Alas, I didn't buy much there. I realized (yeah, it was my inner blond coming out) that I wasn't finding what I wanted to cook for my stirfry at the hispanic store. I just chalked this one up to exploration, but I know where to find the best peppers in town.

No comments: