Tuesday, January 02, 2007

Mom

Mom died in 1999, I was applying to nursing school, she was a retired nurse. Mom started nursing school before she married, met dad there and after they were married she got pregnant with my brother and had to drop out of school (back in the day when you couldn't go to school and be pregnant). In the 1960's we moved to this state, she challenged the LPN boards and passed. In the 1970's she went back to school for her RN degree.

I remember those days well, she was not a good scholar, she had trouble with the ACT, but she was good with the technical stuff. During this time she paired up with two other women, one was very book smart but didn't even know how to take a tempurature when they started, the other was in between. It was interesting to watch them study, one would go over the book, mom would explain how it worked in real life. Once mom got pink eye and I had to read to her, I still remember it was on MI's - which is what I specialized in - and her explaining it to me, and how my grandma died of one, she made it interesting to me then.

I got a call yesterday from a daughter of one of the women, she died that day. The daughter just wanted to let me know. She also had fond memories of those days. The "smart" one came to see me when mom was sick, she helped me a lot in those days. I hope to see her with this funeral (she was younger than the other two).

Before I make you sad, I know that my mom would be very proud of me - I don't do the kind of medicine she did (she liked rehab and ortho - I like ER and units) - but she taught me about caring about her patients and being the best you can be. Of all the things that I would say I regret in my life there are two that come to me the most: 1. I got into a lot of trouble in the 70's and she had to drop out of school for a year, I didn't understand the sacrifice at the time, but oh do I now and 2. that I didn't get to share this with her when she was alive. She died before I even got in school, but she knew the path I was on.

December 26th was the anniversary of her death, she had a wonderul life, she was well loved and she loved well. My children were blessed by her and I can only hope to the be blessing to my grandchildren that she was. At work that day though, I think I honored her by sharing with a family that was having to make a decision to let their loved one go the lessons that my mom taught me in her death. They made a good decision, and I know I can do that without regret because I was shown the way by parents that walked a path before me.

Thanks mom - like others before you lit the path for me. I miss you.

No comments: