Wednesday, September 27, 2006

The Elderly...Dogs that is

We have an older dog. It is much like having an elderly parent or a small child. We have to shake her food for her to find it some days, raise our voices to make sure she hears us and sometimes she walks into things. I don't see signs of pain, so I can't bring myself to do anything but give her extra love right now. I am worried about this winter when her arthritis acts up, but hopefully we can control that with meds.

We've always called her an "old lady in a dog suit" because she has always been persnickity. She was a gift from my parents, besides the house one of the last things I have that I inherited. Yes, the house, a cat and a dog. And Ginger knows that she has lived her longer than us. A few months ago she decided she would no longer sleep in the laundry room, I gathered that it was her house and she was now sleeping in the master bedroom, we could adjust. You know, we did. When I figure this thing out, I will post a picture of her. The other dogs are border collies and so she has had to adapt to them. Actually she made them adjust but she also trained the children.

Isn't life funny, we have the dogs, the cats own us, and God made it all.

1 comment:

Fat Doctor said...

What a beautiful post!