Friday, December 01, 2006

Clapping in a Code

Last night I had a nurse (we will call her Kate for this - not even close to her real name) do charge that had never done it before. She did a great job, but stayed stressed. I was later told by one of her friends that she "needed to put on her big girl panties!" I can't argue with that. This morning after we gave report as she was leaving one of the patients went into v-tach. We raced in, grabbed the crash cart and defibulator, and Kate yells, "let me do it, I've never shocked anyone before!" We throw the pads on, give her the paddles and shocked one time. Patient converted rhythms and was fine (well, so to speak). As Kate was giving back the paddles we all broke into applause and high fives!! What a way to start the day!! Kate left feeling great, the patient did fine (went back to fighting the vent) and the day, well it sucked, but so it goes.

No comments: