Wednesday, December 27, 2006

This Ain't Burger King, You Can't Have It Your Way

WOW, if ONLY they would let us use that slogan for our branding as opposed to "you complain, we'll brand them, beat them into submission and fire them if you want. In fact, we'll throw in an extra nurse for you to trash. Then we will have them crawl to you with coffee in their hands." Okay, it isn't that bad, but still.......

Let's see, we moved a pt to another unit to suit the surgeon; another doc blasted the charge nurse last night because he didn't specify the floor his pt was to be admitted to and the supervisor sent him to a unit (the appropriate one at that); and a doc that I really like was mad because I called him and asked if he wanted me to consult another doc on his patient - oh wait, you see, I thought it would be a good idea, he was mad because "I wrote that order 3 hours ago and why haven't you done it?" Could be that I didn't do what he didn't write, not in the orders, not in the progess notes. He then said that he told everyone around that he wanted the doc called, well, when asked, no one heard him say that, espiecally me, I was charge and had the patient. He'll chill, he's a good doc and I usually anticipate his needs fairly well. I suspect that he is over tired. I sure am.

But if only now and then, I could say what I really, really think. But then, I do like my job and I really like when I do the right thing for the pt and help the doc out.

Of course, sometimes my mean streak comes out and I just forget that on a holiday weekend that the new pt we just got in is needing a consult by a doc that is standing in the other room. Actually, the doc there takes call for the doc that we were consulting and I wasn't 100% sure. And after this guy has been so hateful, rude, arrogant, and really likes to make nurses feel stupid I just couldn't bring myself to tell him about the consult while he was there. After all, I needed time to make sure that he would actually be the one to see the pt. And I know he hates it when we are wrong........... I'll repent next week.........

No comments: