Wednesday, April 04, 2007

The Wedding


It was a small wedding, not fancy, but very sweet. One of my co-workers that I have been blessed to have as a friend, her daughter was getting married. Now, I must confess I look at most situations I find myself in for the humour that I might pull out. So I was seeking a good time.

My role was to be the person that did "whatever needs to be done" or otherwise unassigned tasks. It was a good fit for me. I made myself available for the day prior to the wedding, and of course the big day.

I've had this running joke with this girl over the church she attends, so I had the priviledge of actually stepping foot inside it. (she does the same with me, don't feel sorry for her). I looked around, and said, "so this is what a **name of the denomination**** church looks like." Then called another friend that attends a similar church and announced to her, "guess where I'm at???"

Silly folks, they let me help decorate and then do errands with her. It went well. I was beginning to feel like the next day was doable.....

Day of wedding.... we pick up the cake. I was not expecting sooooo many boxes, then the terror of the car ride out to the curch. What if I dropped the CAKE!!! The PRESSURE!!! Spouse and #1 son were doing the video and the pictures so they had lots on their plates as well.

Next point of interest. Did you know that you are supposed to make the sherbert punch early? I didn't. I was told to not make it until after the wedding but I got adventurous and started right before the ceremony. Thank goodness I did!!! The stuff is supposed to melt and blend. I didn't know that. I can save your life but I know nothing about punch. Needless to say, the start of the reception was rough. However, some very kind folks stepped up to the plate and helped me.

I also enjoy watching people. Like the ones that came in and looked at the snacks we set out (no real meal was announced - it was just snacks, cake and punch) and started asking, "wheres the real food?" I felt like praying and asking Jesus to do another wedding thing. I mean come on, this is a simple wedding, no one has tons of money here, you weren't promised a meal. Also noticing the people that enjoy helping verses the people that are helpless.

All in all, a good time was had by those that wanted it. I learned a few things, her next wedding (she has 3 daughters) I will be happy to help again. Because when all is said and done, you help your friends. And I have 3 sons and will need help when it's my turn........

1 comment:

Midlife Midwife said...

I wonder who came up with the whole wedding reception idea? Did some cavewoman grunt at another and say "Hey girlfriend, before my man drags me off by the hair to go live in his cave, why don't you throw a big expensive party for me? How about you put all your food supply on a table and let everyone eat it. In turn they can leave a few small pieces of dead deer meat and a couple vegetables to help me start out my new life. Oh, and don't forget that fizzy green colored punch you are so famous for..."

Glad to hear that you survived the wedding.