Monday, November 27, 2006

The Frozen North

We have a new pastor, he's "not from here". Now, there's "not from here" local and "really not from here." This guy is from the latter. Canada to be precise. Recently we had a discussion about things people do up there to kill time and games that are played. Now, dude likes hockey. Actually that would be an understatement, he LOVES hockey, why he moved to the south is beyond me. There is an ice rink in town, but I know this is nothing like what he is used to.

So we are in Texas for a funeral and he's telling me about going driving on the ponds in your truck. Being a good southern girl I have visions of just trying to drive on the streets without killing people during icy season. I can't imagine going out on a pond (of course here nothing freezes like that anyway). And I've worked in the ER on an icy day, lots of work. I'm not into "loss of control" I don't even drink to lose control, the closest I get to that is when we get an "exciting" patient and the adreniline pumps.

So here am I listening to his story about the thrills in Canada (and I'm thinking good book, glass of wine, hot tub, maybe even hot chocolate) when I have an Eureka moment!!!! Their brains are frozen!! That explains all!!

So when I'm around him now, he looks at me with that "I know you think my brain is frozen" look and I look back with "yes, it is" and we have a quiet understanding. It makes for peace. Besides, I have the ultimate upperhand, he has to work with my kid, who has had my input for 22 years......... *giggle*

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hee Hee Hee.... today we heard from a friend in Canada who told us that the temp was -30 with a -50 wind chill.... now that is "brain freezing" weather~!

I don't miss it at all..... :)

Great perspective... I read it to your pastor... he laughed!

One thing about the story he told you.... we drove our van out on a frozen lake with our childen... then we rode four wheelers and pulled doughnuts on this frozen lake. On the other side of the lake, we saw people on motorcycles racing!

Just when I (a Texas) thought it was unbelievable... a distant cousin opened up his trailer and pulled out a grill... we had hot dogs while standing on a frozen lake!