Thursday, March 22, 2007

Isn't It Interesting....




So I worked ER yesterday, it's been awhile. I find it interesting that two patients I treated had the same thing that I sent my son to a doctors office for. My favorite of the day.... "but I'm allergic to everything but demerol...." to which the doc said he would not give. He asked her where she got that drug, she said her pain doctor. ER doc says, "go to him then."" She promised to complain when she got the patient satisfaction survery. I took her information to the director of the ER, he will be aware that she was seeking drugs. Oh, don't worry about her pain, she asked me for water, took a prescription bottle out of her purse and took some meds.

I love ER, the human species never fails to amaze me. You have wonderful patients, then you have the people that demand all while knowing they will never pay the bill. And they want it all fast!! The ones that won't pay, they know the buttons to push "chest pain" for sniffles, kidney stone for drugs, I even had a drug seeker try to fake an MI for the morphine. But then comes the sweet family that will never put you out even for a blanket as they are shivering.

No great stories from yesterday, I don't get many of those cases. But it's okay, it makes me appreciate those I see in the unit, that really need to be in the hospital and have something I can treat. Maybe some days I need to see that.

1 comment:

Midlife Midwife said...

My personal favorite is the patients who come in saying, "My drug test will be positive because my roommate has glaucoma and smokes marijuana, I took a Sudafed for my cold, I ate poppy seed muffins for breakfast, I just took a bunch of Robitussin with the high alcohol content...etc etc" Do they think I am dumb?