Monday, March 05, 2007

Planning


Isn't planning a wonderful thing? The 2nd graders this week in my Sunday School class will learn how God planned the world. I made some plans this week..... they were good plans. I was going to take Patient X and Y so that I could work with my preceptee and spend quality time with her. Patient X was very sick, and with stuff we don't usually deal with. Pt Y was boring and no problem.


Any guesses what happened? Pt X resolved overnight many of the issues that would have made that case great. Pt Y on the other hand developed new and frantic issues. We had to go to CT, emergency surgery and another test. Guess which Pt the preceptee had...... guess how much time I got to spend with her...... guess how frustrated I was.


I probably should have changed her assignment, but Pt X was still interesting and there was no time to really teach on Pt Y. Besides, the surgeon was, well, how can I say it, "doesn't give warm fuzzies to nurses" and I really didn't want to run off my preceptee. Actually for him he was pretty nice, either he was still half asleep or feeling good about the case (as he should, perforated bowel got caught early, no real mess).


As bad of a time as we are having being short staffed and beat over the head about budget, and as sick as our pts are, we are actually doing pretty good. Our chaplain (chaplain the kid) is very close to us and usually picks up on who needs some extra support. I'm glad that the hospital has allowed us the support that we get from them, I can't imagine doing this without it.


That being said, the kid that I torture at home and I are going on a field trip today. Where? I don't care, I need a day away to renew my soul.

No comments: