Thursday, October 19, 2006

Chaplain the Kid

We have this chaplain, he's 25, married with a young baby. We all adore him, he's been a good sport with all of us and has amazed us with his wisdom and insight. It's been wonderful to watch how the families all seem to take to him. It took me off guard because of his youth I would have thought that the older ones wouldn't relate to him, but overall they really respond to his care.

Today he came into the unit supervisors office and she called him "chaplain the kid". You know, it suits him. He has until August of next year to put up with this. Poor guy, all that education and this is how he will be known. *giggle*

So what makes someone become a chaplain in the hospital. Some of ours are really good, some I regret calling when they show. We have one that covers ER a lot, I'm not sure if the disasters are full moon related or because he's on call. However, he does well with the families. Actually he was with me when my dad died. One that showed up over the weekend was soooooo bad, the family member asked if he did this all the time or just throw on his clothes and come in off the street that night. She's not been so responsive to the rest of the chaplains after that. The head of the program has displayed tremendous wisdom in some tricky situations - and is part of our ethics team. At some point I would really like to get involved with that group - I'm sure there is much to learn and grow there.

But most of all I watch them shepherd the flock: patients, nurses, families. Some of them realize that special relationship, others are clueless to the opportunity that abounds there. I know for myself, there are times when I realize I'm closer to "chaplain the kid" than I am to many in the church, and I definately trust him more than most. But then, he wades into the heart of the matter with me, while others discuss the theory. So heres to you, Chaplain the Kid, may your paths be blessed.

1 comment:

M. Lumpkin said...

Here's what Melody wrote...