Thursday, October 05, 2006

Snot, Snot Everywhere a Snot

Went to Wednesday night church last night for the first time in forever on my long walk back from Egypt. In case I haven't mentioned this before, I'm still so thankful I was only there for 10 years, not forty like the original group God took by the hand. Anyway, one of the things I took away from this was about following Christ, you know, be like Him, et (this is not intended to be a Bible lesson, keep reading).

Last night I could hardly sleep, I very seldom get sick but one of the things that is common is this state (I still don't understand why people move here on purpose) is that the pollen comes out and turns everything yellow. Not kidding. My body reacts appropriately to this invasion and therefore I was filled with snot, my throat was horribly sore and I couldn't breathe and lay down. Makes for a crappy day of work. This morning, trying to take a more positive approach I emailed the pastors wife to pray for me. Okay, I don't do this often. My snot is usually just for me to whine about but I thought since I was the charge nurse in the ICU that I should have half a brain to function with (the patients certainly would hope so). I really need to learn to specify what needs prayer.

Okay, I get to work, playfully whine about how crappy I feel, grab a box of snotrags (kleenex by sandpaper), and *sneeze* get to work. My voice kept going out, I was popping cough drops like crazy and trying not to sneeze while needing to pee (a whole new topic). Mid morning I had a doctors appointment, snuck out of the unit and walked to it. BTW, there was weight loss, the endocrine doc was happy for once. Walking back to the hospital, well, not so good. Seems I can't walk in my new shoes and listen to the iPOD. The comment was later made that I was trying out for the new speed bump in the road. Both palms, one elbow and one knee were shredded. A few cars did stop to see if I was alive - or gaging the distance to the iPod and watch that flew off me. Of course, this gave all new topics for whining. Then I went to the ER to beg for a shot to dry this mess up with (yes, now my butt was asaulted). Thank you!!!! (It's not a good sign when your fantasies are for shots by the way!! and you really don't care who gives it or where - at that point I think I would have dropped my pants in the middle of the ER). The only thing really going my way today was that I had a student taking care of the patient and nobody coded on the floor. I can't imagine doing CPR with snot flowing on the patient. Anyway, I had a meeting late in the afternoon, the chaplain noticed my wounds and asked what happened. HE brought up, and I know I can't spell so I hope this is right, stigmata. So, DANA, what did you pray for??? was this to be like Christ, cause I think there was a far too literal interpretation applied!!!! Just kidding.

I hope this doesn't kill anyones image of healthcare, but truely the patients should be sicker than the nurses, which is why I get disgusted in the ER, many days I was sicker than those being treated. Long post, sorry, I thought it was funny, however, a lack of sleep and steroids do funny things to the mind. And tomorrow I'm charge again...... maybe you should pray for the patients.... And that I'll remember not to alcohol my hands when entering the rooms....

No comments: