Saturday, October 14, 2006

I Love Haldol

Haldol is a wonderful drug. I had a bipolar / probably schizophenic patient that is on a balloon pump. Not the best combination. She totally didn't get that she could die because we had a balloon close to her heart. She really wanted to get up and leave. Little haldol, little ativan and she began to see things my way. I guess from her prospective I didn't have the goodies she was used to: cocaine, crack, and ETOH. But then, all things are better with chemistry...... I just have legal ones.

The other patient in the unit on a balloon pump was a man that is in his 50's, woke up this morning with chest pain and had a hugh MI. His wife had to do CPR and kids had to help. I'm not sure his outcome is going to be good, even though CPR was started quickly he was in V-fib awhile. Seems like I heard at least 10 shocks. This man is well known in the community and these kids are teenagers. So tragic, it hit me close to home, his wife appears to be about my age.

The irony is obvious......

No comments: